Europe, Africa and migrations
Europe and Immigration: 2019 EU Parliamentary elections
Clicking on each country, you can get useful data on immigration (ISMU elaborations on Eurostat data) and the political parties that run for the next European Parliament election (ISMU elaborations on Europe elects data).
Why monitoring the relationship between migrations and development
The relationship between migration and development is widely recognised at the international level and is now integrated into the UN strategic documents, such as the 2030 Agenda, as well as in EU and Italian policies.
The ISMU Europe-Africa-Migration strategic line aims to enhance the coherence of project and research activities that were launched in 2018 and that will be launched in 2019 along these two themes and focusing on Europe and Africa.
In particular, the strategic line will focus on
- the role of diasporas in the development of the countries of origin, with particular attention to the diaspora of Sub-Saharan African countries living in Europe. This theme includes on-going projects on migrant entrepreneurship (e.g. the BITE project – Building Integration Through Entrepreneurship) and on local development (e.g. the AwArtMali project – Awareness raising and info through art on irregular migration risks in Mali).
- EU programming on development cooperation and migration. On the one hand ISMU he will focus on the five-year political cycle with a new European Commission and European Parliament being formed between May and November 2019. On the other hand, the monitoring will concern the overall EU financial programming for the 2021-2027 period (MFF).
- If Dublin IV were in place during the refugee crisis… A simulation of the effect of mandatory relocation – Pierre Georges Van Wolleghem, January 2018
- European response and strategies in the Middle East: Iraq and Syrian conflicts, Islamic Terrorism and Humanitarian Crisis – Carlo Paternollo, Settembre 2017
- Alla radice del problema. Uno sguardo politico su come l’UE sta affrontando le migrazioni attraverso lo sviluppo internazionale – Luca Merotta, Luglio 2017
- Reshaping the External Dimension of EU Asylum Policy: the Difficult Quest for a Comprehensive Approach – Roberto Cortinovis, Gennaio 2017
- The consistency of the link between EU scepticism and immigration issues. A descriptive analysis of party positions – Pierre Georges Van Wolleghem, Ottobre 2016
Our research team
Nicola Pasini – Fondazione ISMU and Università degli studi di Milano
Research and monitoring team
Luca Merotta – Fondazione ISMU
Livia Ortensi – Fondazione ISMU and Università Bicocca
Giorgia Papavero – Fondazione ISMU
Marta Regalia – Università degli Studi di Milano
Pierre Georges Van Wolleghem – Fondazione ISMU